Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake

One of my favorite things to eat is homemade strawberry shortcake. Since one of my original intents of this blog was to chronicle our family ways, and yes that does in itself makes me feel less guilty for my lack of scrap booking, I decided that today I would write out my strawberry shortcake recipe.
Basic Shortcake Dough
2 1/4 cups white flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
Strawberries
(cleaned and hulled, sliced in half and sprinkled lightly with sugar)
Fresh whipped cream....yum!
Combine all of the dry ingredients ( first 4) in a bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives work well if you use them to 'cut'. Combine water and milk, and gently pour into center of dry ingredients...make a well (kind of like how you would make a swimming pool with your butter in your mashed potatoes). Stir just until combined, and then knead lightly about ten times (kneading is just folding the dough over on top of itself to work the dry ingredients in) I roll out the dough and cut into triangles and sprinkle a little bit of sugar on top. Bake in a hot oven (450 degrees F) for 10 to 12 minutes. Serve warm with strawberries and fresh whip cream. Enjoy!

No comments: