Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The moments time stood still

Five tiny fingers curled around my index finger with a soft, gentle clasp.
Time stood still.
image
In the quietness of my hospital room I looked upon the face of this precious life and gave thanks to the Lord for this tiny, treasured gift. I had visions of all the memories we would create, and in that moment it seemed that we had a lifetime to create them; for memories are the inheritance of the moments we share.
Those first few years of motherhood brought much joy and laughter, and truth be told there were many tears.
image
There were days when my little ones tried and tested me, and in those first few years especially, there were days when I am sure I tried and tested them.
Some days were hard, and when my dear husband arrived home from a long day of work I would dissolve in tears when he entered the door. It was in those times of brokenness, that I decided that I would choose joy.
I sought out books and resources that would encourage me through this journey of parenthood. I printed out scripture verses such as Psalm 118:28 You are my God, and I WILL give you thanks; you are my God, and I WILL exalt you.
I taped these verses on the inside doors of my cupboard, along with this beautiful printable from one of my favorite bloggers.
I spent my online time reading the blogs of Godly women who were purposing to daily choose joy. I began to intentionally choose to speak joy into the life of my children. There were days when this was more difficult than others, when deadlines and attitudes squeezed my patience to the limit. Throughout all of these days the precious hands of time moved quickly.
image
On our family room wall, I have four clocks. It is not that I am very punctual and for those of you who know me, you know this to be true. But those clocks are for keeping time. When we have guests over, we are asked the significance of the clocks. With a twinkle in my eye, I smile and say....

No comments: